Friday, October 1, 2010

L's Closet Makeover

When we moved into our house there was storage everywhere, which was great. What wasn't so great was all the wire shelving used. I HATE wire shelving. It looks cheap, things fall through it, and you can't slide your hangers very far before running into a post.
We replaced K's closet shelves before we moved our stuff into the house. We replaced our walk-in closet's shelves with this shelving unit from Jerry's Home Improvement last year. And last month I ripped the wire shelves out of L's closet and replaced them with a bookcase, a wooden dowel for clothes and a white board to finish it off.

Here is the before picture.

This bookcase was made for K before she was born. M drew the picture and I painted it. On the left side we have been measuring our girls as they grow. It's a great memory keeper which we will always keep. I had been using it in my craft room, but we are making that room over too. There will be a post on that soon, I hope. So I moved it into L's closet for easy shelving.

All her dresses fit nicely along with her books, toys, and diaper changing paraphernalia. All of her books are up high right now because she rips books to shreds when unsupervised. I also have her memory box and some stuff to decorate her room stored at the top where she can't get to them. One day I hope to decorate her room again. I plan to do a rose theme in here. Before it was a pink ladybug theme and it looked really nice while she was crib bound. But for now, nothing is safe that is within her reach, so she gets no pretties down low.

About two months ago we put her into a toddler bed.
She kept jumping out of the crib so we figured it was time.
The only draw back is keeping her in her room.

I made these curtains for K's room at the old house.
M made the window shelf for both the girls rooms.

Her dresser from M's grandmother. It has a matching bed in the garage. Once L is ready for it, we will bring it up for her. Although, we still need to get a mattress set for it and some rails to
hold the headboard and footboard together. Not sure were to find those.

The rocking chair is also from M's grandma.
We had it reupholstered after we sanded and stained it.

4 comments:

  1. I love the closet and especially love the shelf above the window. I'll have to get Chris to make our kids some of those. I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to make some side rails. You could do a 2x4 for the main board and use some L brackets to screw some smaller pieces on the inside for the mattress to rest on. Then stain it to match the rest of the bed. Thanks for posting the pics. I love seeing other peoples' decorating ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....on second thought maybe it's 1x4 I'm thinking of. M is very smart. Ask him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bethany. I will have to talk to him about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever. I love how you mix the old and the new. And some day I will make you my rhubarb cake and you will have to admit that rhubarb CAN be yummy!

    ReplyDelete