Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Soccer Mom?

Me? A soccer mom? I would never have thunk it, but that is what I have become. At least for this season, anyway. K started her first soccer practice yesterday and I must say, I think she is a natural. Just look at that scowl on her face, doesn't she seem menacing?
First we met her coach who happens to be a member of our ward, how fun is that? He has been coaching soccer for years up in Utah and was even a player when he was younger. I think he is going to do a wonderful job with these kids.
He started them off with some stretches before having them practice "dribbles" with the ball. Dribbles...I thought dribbling was only in basketball, who knew? Certainly not me. Although, I am not what you would call "well versed" in any sport. Guess I will be learning right along with my daughter.

Here the kids were told to run and get their ball. Don't they look excited and energetic? It's so adorable seeing the little 5 year old kids all dressed up in their uniforms.
Here the coach was teaching them to kick the balls back and forth to their partner. K's partner was the coaches son and I think she may have a little crush on him. She even had to give him a hug before we left practice. I think she has seen him a couple of times at church but this is the first time she has had any real communication with him. It was kind of cute watching her interact with him, especially since he wasn't quite as reciprocating.
A little instruction from the coach now. Do you see K in her jersey? I love how her foot is resting on the soccer ball. I have seen real players do this on the occasion I have glanced at a soccer game on tv playing in the background while I am eating my dinner at Applebee's. Did I mention I am not really into sports?
And they are off, dribbling their ball down the field. K started in the back but is soon in the lead. She kicks her ball semi-straight and true. She makes it to the treeline in no time and never once misses kicking her ball. I am so impressed. She has never dribbled before today and she has nailed it! I am so proud of her. I can hardly wait to see what next practice will bring. In the meantime, we will be practicing in the backyard every day for 15-20 minutes. That should be enough, right? Don't want to overwhelm her.

Her first game is Saturday. It will be fun watching the kids kick the ball around. We are going though AYSO which is a great organization. They are all about teaching the kids how to have fun and work together. At this young of an age, they don't even keep score. If one team seems to be making more 'goals' then the other, the teams are switched up a little so it's more of a fair game. I think this is great because it teaches the kids how to play the game and not focus on the outcome so much. They don't even have goalies at this age. The kids just pretty much kick the ball around and get a feel for how the game works. As they get older, they learn more and it becomes more of a real game.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. She's a natural! I'm not into competitive sports, either. I'd probably gush over the outfit more than the game itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! She totally looks like a natural!

    ReplyDelete