Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hike from Elk Lake to Charlton Lake

The lady of the house wants me to post about my hike last weekend on the Pacific Crest Trail.
Too sum it up: it was fun.

Now, on with the pictures. Presented in chronological order.

Beginning our trip at Elk Lake.

This is Dumbbell Lake we stopped here for a snack.
Where do meadows in the middle of the forest come from? Why aren't there any trees growing here?


Horseshoe Lake, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I don't remember if this is Merrill or Mac Lake.
Waiting for the sun to come up Sunday morning at Cougar Flat. This was where we camped our first night. We walked about 16 miles that first day.
We came across this guy right about here. That was exciting. Click to embiggen and look at the center of the picture.
Lovely wife tells me that it is hard to tell what that was a picture of. So here is a closer one. I didn't have anything to rest the camera on so these came out a bit blurry.


The other two guys almost walked right past Stormy Lake without even looking.


This panorama of Brahma Lake didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped it would.
These three rocks are on the south side of Brahma Lake.

This is Irish Lake. NF road 600 goes just south of this lake. It was the first road we crossed on our hike.

A view of the Sisters from a ridge about 1/4 mile north of Lily Lake.

Lily Lake. About 26 miles into our hike. I would love to go back here again.

Cool and refreshing after a day walking in the sun. I didn't stay in long though..lakes are cold at 6000 feet.

I left my pack at camp and took a walk around the lake. The next two pictures were taken along the south edge of Lily Lake.

We could see fish jumping in the middle of the lake. Unfortunately, that is where they stayed.

This is the Eastern sky looking across Lily Lake at sunset.
Someone should have brought marshmallows.
I caught a reflection of the moon a little before sunrise Monday morning.
Here comes the sun...That's for you babe.
It was 34 degrees when I got up. The fire was my friend.
We arrived at Charlton Lake at about noon on Monday.
We had about 3 hours to burn before our ride came to bring us home so two of us decided to walk around the lake. There are a couple of neat little islands on the Southeast end of Charlton.

12 comments:

  1. so max, you were allowed to start fires up there??!!!??? and was the water cold?? do you want a hiker's backpack for your birthday?? where's the commentary??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were allowed to start fires. The water was pretty chilly. I liked the backpack that I have very much. The commentary was right on the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting Jeff come along. I think you guys had a LOT of fun. I need you to sit down and show me how to use my camera. I can't get as good as pictures as you guys do. Those were awesome. I'm excited to see the CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there was very little commentary on top of the post. i appreciate that there is more today. thx. those are lovely and interesting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what kind of flower are those deep red ones in the picture with the dead gray trees?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure those were bunches of some kind of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, honey. Thanks for sharing a bit about your hike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's it? Lakes and Walking? what about the mosquitoes and the blisters and the fun meals you cooked over the fire and the long conversations as you walked and not being able to take a shower and missing your sweetie and how you couldn't sleep at night because the ground was so hard?
    Oh.
    I forgot.
    You're a guy!
    And was that a BEAR in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok Sue, the mosquitoes were not very bad at all (most of the time). Mountain house freeze dried chicken breast with mashed potatoes is very tasty..Beef stroganoff is not.

    The only long conversations I recall are the ones where we talked about how much we missed our beautiful wives and loving children.

    Who needs a shower when you have all those lakes to bathe in?

    Yes, the ground was a bit hard. But that just helped ensure that I woke up in time to watch the sunrise.

    Yes, that was a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done M. And N, you're funny. A bit? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this post makes me homesick. although maybe ben would have come along and definitely not me. i am just wondering, who took all the pics of the 3 of you? did you have a tripod or did you stop the local bear to help out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Max is really good at finding level places to prop his camera for group shots. He really is a fabulous picture taker.

    ReplyDelete