Monday, July 13, 2009

Welcome to the Jungle...

So, our garden is very overgrown. I think we may have put just a little bit too much in our beds this year. But we are producing very yummy results. Our strawberry plants put out about 15 berries each day, which was enough for the girls to have a snack. We have gotten some quite a few zucchini off the plant and there are still many more to come. The green beans are getting pretty long, it will be time to pick them in about a week, I think.
We also got a very yummy green pepper off the pepper plant and there are more growing. Our corn is coming in, although not very many stalks came up. Our pumpkin plant is over shadowing our strawberries and I fear that we probably should not have planted one this year. But we will see how it does. We have a ton of flowers on our tomato plants which is very exciting. I am hoping to make lots of salsa this fall with them. Even our broccoli and carrots seem to be doing well. The only plant not doing much is the cucumber plants. They have flowered but nothing else seems to be happening. We will just have to wait and see what happens with them.

Here is our Jungle of a Garden.
The tomato plants are so big, they are out of control!
See our big pumpkin leaves in front of the tomatos?

Here are the first fruits of our zucchini plant.
I made Em's delicious zucchini bread and
tonight I am making her yummy
Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Casserole.

On Saturday, I went to pick blueberries at a local farm. I got 8 pounds for $11.00. A pretty good price. I would have gotten more, but it took me 2 hours just to pick that many.
We got a food dehydrator last year for Christmas from my mom-in-law and M has been using it a lot lately. Right before Independence Day, he made beef jerky and then dried some cherries. We still have a lot of berries in the freezer and jam from last year, so we decided to dry the berries I picked. They turned out pretty good, though I don't care for blueberries.
Here is a close up of the jerky, cherries, and blueberries. All of them are a hit!
Thanks again for a wonderful present, Mel!

3 comments:

  1. Wow your garden is doing great. We want to do more next year for our garden since it's done well too. We have gotten a few cherry tomatoes the last few days. So I'm sure yours will start producing soon too.
    Can you send me the recipe for Em's zucchini bread, I've had it before and it's so good.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden looks great.
    Happy we ran into you saturday.
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is awesome! Our cucumber and zucchini plants have flowers but nothing coming yet. How fun that you are using your dehydrator. That is great. I am making that casserole in a few days too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete