Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Three Week Trip: Part 3

We took a different route home from Missouri and we spent a few days longer to enjoy some of the sights. We went through Oklahoma and Texas but didn't really see anything there. We went through New Mexico and drove past Shiprock, which is the first picture in this series. Then we went to Four Corners; where the borders of four states come together.

After that we went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. It was absolutely beautiful. These pictures don't do it justice. If you have never been, I strongly recommend you go. I think it is the only place I have ever been where there was such a diverse group of people. I think there was someone from every country in the world there that day. We were all amazed at the beauty and vastness of this natural wonder. We only drove the South side of the rim, but we want to go back again when the kids are older and drive the North side of the rim.

On the way to Nevada we drove over Hoover Dam. It was almost dark so we only stopped for a few pictures. Then it was off to see Lake Tahoe. That is a gorgeous place to see too. The drive up the mountain was so pretty and when you get to the other side you see the start of the Lake. We ended up driving most of the way around it on our second day there. We wanted to go on the sky tram but decided it would probably freak out our oldest child. So we are planning to go back in about 5 years when they are older and less likely to be scared of the view.

Our last and final stop before heading home was in Klamath Falls. I have wanted to go there since hearing all the stories my hubby told me of his life there during college. I had always imagined it as a very small hick town in the desert. However, it is actually a pretty good sized town and not really desert-like at all. We also stopped at Klamath Lake and took some pictures of the pelicans and geese we saw swimming around. It was pretty and serene.

We had a great drive and the children were so well behaved. They had thier bad moments, but I am so impressed with how well they handled being cooped up in a car for such a long perioud of time. I am so grateful to my husband for letting us take the time to enjoy the beautiful sights of America. The country we live in is gorgeous and I am so glad we had the opportunity to see some of the different landscapes it has to offer. I know we were only able to see a small amount of this great nation, but I plan to see the rest some day. I urge all of you to take the time to drive through America and take in the beauty which is our home. You will not regret it.



2 comments:

  1. Wow that's a nice long vacation. Looks like you guys had a good time. You are very brave for being willing to drive it with the kids, I am not ready for that yet. It's hard enough just driving the 10 hours to my parents with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job journaling it all girl! You should print that out and add it to your scrapbook. You are a good writer.

    ReplyDelete