Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cruising vs. Hiking

For our anniversary this year we wanted to do something special, like go on a cruise. I mean, this is our ten year anniversary and we wanted to do it right. Well, the summer came and went and we never really had the time to do anything. So, M decided to take me on a backpacking hike to celebrate, just the two of us.
We originally planned to do a 30 mile hike but things didn't quite work out so we did a 10ish mile hike instead. We started near Charnelton Lake on the Pacific Crest Trail. It was pretty easy at first, the trail was clear with an easy up and down trek. The area by hubby wanted to take us to had been in a forest fire some years before no longer had a trail to follow. So we spent some time blazing a trail of our own crossing logs and pushing our way through new growth trees.

Eventually we got to the place we wanted to set up camp. As always M thought of everything. I got to relax in our hammock and read while he set up our tent and other items we had carted in on our backs. I must say it was enjoyable and relaxing sitting by the lake.
After camp was set up we headed for a short hike around Lily Lake. It was pretty and at the top of one area we could see other lakes nearby and the Sisters mountains. We headed back to camp to have some grub.

 See that "mountain"? You will see more of it later.
Although what I call a mountain my husband calls a hill.
I must say that Mountain House makes terrific meals. We split Beef Stew and Chili Mac. The chili mac was a little spicy but tasty. After dinner we enjoyed some cheesecake that M snuck up in his pack. What's an anniversary meal without sweets?

After dinner I was energized and ready to head out on an adventure. M had told me that the "hill" near by wasn't much farther than we had already walked that day and would be easy to climb up to the top. I was game but boy was he wrong! We had no trail to follow and most of the terrain was covered in fallen trees and burned branches, not to mention some parts were super steep and dusty.
 Lots of balancing on logs and crawling over logs hiking up the mountain.
 This was just the first summit and the picture doesn't do it justice.
It was pretty steep although this was the easier part of this hike.
 Gorgeous view from this summit.
 The Sisters

 See this picture? We wanted to get to the top of this.
Still doesn't show just how steep the mountain was. 
I am so glad we didn't have to carry our packs for this.
Here I am near the top. By the time we got to the top it was starting to get late. We had to make it back in double time so we weren't hiking in the dark. Luckily going downhill was faster than going up but we (okay, I) did a lot of sliding. It was mostly dusty dirt and hard to get a foothold. We got back just before night.
In the morning we awoke to warm weather and a dazzling sunrise. M made a fire for us to roast some marshmallows on while our Mountain House breakfast of eggs and bacon cooked.



While M packed up our campsite, I read my kindle and enjoyed some hot chocolate my thoughtful hubby packed for me.
 Getting ready to hike back out to our truck.
I had a great time and would love to do this again (a cruise would be nice too, just saying). We actually are thinking of doing a couples hike next summer. We have one couple already in mind (you know who you are 'V') but it would be fun to do with others. Are any of you game?

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about your outdoor adventures. It makes me want to go on some of my own. How lovely that you were able to spend time alone with M. The scenery is beautiful, and the hammock looks so relaxing! We're coming up on our 10-year anniversary, and I've been thinking about what we should do. A cruise has crossed my mind as well. It's nice to know that there are options. Your outdoor anniversary sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I could give you some areas to go to. We love that Oregon has so many great outdoor places to hike and camp in.

      Delete
  2. Your husband is such a romantic, in a GIJoe/survivalist kind of way!
    And I gave Jeff Unbroken last year but haven't read it. I guess I will!

    ReplyDelete