Thursday, March 24, 2011

Building Forts

I vaguely remember my babysitter making forts in her basement when I was in elementary school. It would take up almost the whole area and most of the kids enjoyed it. I don't remember if I liked it or not.
As an adult I haven't enjoyed making forts because it is cluttered and chaotic looking. There are times when the kids will build a small tunnel between the couch and ottoman but nothing much bigger. Yesterday they were trying to build a fort and I thought I would surprise them by making a HUGE fort for them to play in. Well, they played in it for about 10 minutes then went outside to play.
After an hour of playing outside, they came back in and played in the fort for another five minutes and went to another area of the house. Every time I mentioned taking it down they would beg me to leave it up but wouldn't actually play in it. I left it up until M came home and then he took it down. What is so appealing about a fort? I guess it might be fun to hide in and read to yourself or take a nap in, but my kids don't do anything but build them and walk away. Maybe they fancy themselves construction workers. Build it up for someone else and leave when the job is done. I thought my fort was quite impressive, especially since it's only the second time I have ever tried to make one.

L crawling inside.
L waving from under the chair.
K waving from their skylight.
There were lots of tunnels and cubbys to hide in.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the joy really is in the construction. Kinda like snowmen and playdough... Well now I want to go build a fort!

    ReplyDelete