Monday, October 10, 2011

Free Time? What's That?!!?

I thought for sure once school started and we got on a schedule I would have more time to get things done. However, now I am busier than ever and have had no time to update my blog or any of the other things I wanted to get done. Here are a few of the things we have been busy doing in the past month or so.

My hubby and I got away for an afternoon to do some target shooting. It has been way too long since I went and we ended up staying out for four hours having a great time.

We shot shotgun shells off of bowling pins.
And shot other target.


K has started up the fall season of soccer and has had four games so far. She started out kind of rough but is getting the hang of it again and is really going for the ball at times. Other times she seems happy just to chase the ball down but doesn't kick it once she is there. She has great potential and is a fast runner but isn't as driven as some of the kids on her team. As long as she is having a good time, I try not to care. I don't want her playing soccer in high school anyway, so I'm not pushing her too hard in this sport. It's just a way for her to get out and learn to play as a team and have fun. Here are some of our best shots of her during the games.





We have been canning fruits and veggies from our garden and the local farms. We love canning stuff to stock up for the winter months. We canned 15 quarts of salsa, 5 quarts of tomato juice which we use as a base in soups, and 7 quarts of homemade spaghetti sauce all of which came from our garden. We also canned 9 quarts of homemade chili and 9 quarts of peach pie filling. After all that, we dehydrated 24 pounds of pears which filled 6 quart jars. My girls eat the pears like candy. It's a healthy and tasty treat.
Our first crop of tomatoes.
Our second and third crops.
We also bought 30 pounds of bacon from Zaycon foods for $2.89 per pound. If you haven't heard of them, you need to check them out. They have amazing deals on meat and produce. We also have ordered 120 pounds of 100% natural chicken with no added hormones, additives, or artificial ingredients for $1.49 a pound. All of their meat comes to you fresh from the processor. You just divide it up the way you want and then freeze it. We will can 40 pounds and freeze the rest. MMM, look at all that bacon...

We also took a trip to Bahmah's house last weekend. The girls go pretty much once a month but we seldom do it any more and thought it would be fun for a weekend getaway. We listened to Uncle Luke play football online at Pamona College. He is their quarterback and he was amazing! We also played games and rode bikes. It was nice to hang out with my wonderful mom-in-law and relax.


These are just the things that have been filling our weekends. During the week I am running my girls to school, dance class, gymnastics, and soccer practice. I go to the gym while my youngest is at preschool on Mondays and Wednesdays, while on Tuesdays I just take her with me while I attend a power class. On Fridays I help out in K's classroom at school while L is in preschool.
I have about 2 hours every afternoon after L's preschool and extra curricular activities to play with her, plan dinner and get chores around the house done. Then I am off to school to pick up 6 kids and drive them home. We eat dinner around 4 and then it's family time, baths, homework and bedtime rituals.
This doesn't include the time I use to do my very busy calling at church or the weekly church meetings I attend. I have been falling into bed exhausted every night at 9 or 10 for the past month. It's great that I am sleeping better, but not so great that I am unable to get everything done I want to get done. I keep hearing there is a time and season for everything. Unfortunately, I want to get it all done RIGHT NOW!! But hey, at least I am finally updating my blog, right?

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Tattler lids yet? I LOVE them! I've been having fun canning up tomato juice too, I just quarter the tomatoes and blend them, skin and all. Well, I guess it's more of a slurry than juice.
    I think I want M to make me one of his gun boxes. Send details please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used my tattle lids yet as Karen still has them. Can't wait to use them on my chicken though.
    I will have M email you info on the box:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the pic of you shooting. I remember you making that same face so many times.....:)

    ReplyDelete