Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Body of Power

I have never been good at going to the gym. In years past I have joined a gym on two separate occasions. Each time I showed up to sign a contract, pay my year's dues, have a walk through with a trainer and was never seen again. Even when I worked at Curves I seldom used the equipment, usually only when I was training a new member whom typically never came back. The gym seems to be quite the money racket.

Anyway, my neighbor has been hounding me for over a year to join her gym promising me she would make me go and I would have fun. I finally decided to give it a chance and got a three month trial membership in August. I have been going three to four days a week ever since, which is amazing since the trainer tried to kill me on my first day there. Not really, it just felt like it since I was in total body pain for five days following the work out. Seriously, I could hardly move any of my appendages and my muscles hurt to even touch them.

But go back I did and I'm grateful for it. They have a Power class that I LOVE! It is an all over workout and you feel great after you finish the class... because you survived! I have also been using the treadmill, elliptical machine and various other weight machines on my off days.

I am hoping with all this extra exercise the last of my baby weight I want to come off will do so quickly. According to my trainer it would happen sooner if I cut out all sweets but that is NOT going to happen. I have cut out sweets before and found myself eating a whole container of ice cream followed by a baker's dozen of donuts. Not exactly the best way to lose and keep off the fat. I see nothing wrong with eating, in moderation, the things that I like to eat.

My trainer says I don't have a lot to lose. However what I do have to lose is all centrally located in my mid-section. Once I get that area in shape I just need keep it that way. I am hoping to cut back on my exercise once I get to the size I am shooting for, but we will see. I am just glad I joined the gym and have great friends who push to keep me there. It's amazing the things we can accomplish with just a little bit of encouragement from our friends.

4 comments:

  1. When I worked at the clinic in Beaverton I had a girlfriend pick me up at 5:30am every morning. I got up because I knew she'd come, she woke up because she thought I'd be waiting. It works out REALLY nice to have a buddy to help you just get there. Great job on working out. I am VERY proud of you! I agree with the sweets thing . . . still eat them, just not the WHOLE box of girl scout cookies. Easy right? hah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at donuts...
    haha. Great job!!!! Keep us updated and it'll inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. It is much easier to do anything with a friend. I know I always feel better when I use the gym. I love yoga, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your trainer is right, you don't have a lot to lose!

    ReplyDelete