Monday, July 19, 2010

Butte Creek Falls

We went to Butte Creek Falls while we were visiting our family up near Silverton. Grandma and Kendra came along for the hike. M and I had been to this fall about 8 years ago and I remembered it being pretty, yet treacherous to get to. The trail has been greatly improved since then, there are even some cute little bridges to cross sections safely. We went to the upper falls first, admiring and taking pictures of it. Then we hiked to the lower fall which is also beautiful, however the tail ends on a very high and narrow butte which could be quite detrimental if you fell off. Grandma, the girls and I stayed safely in the middle sitting on a rock. Kendra and my dare-devil husband sauntered off down the steep cliff of the butte trying to find a closer view of the falls. At one point, Kendra felt she couldn't continue down further so she headed back to us. M felt he could find a way if he tried hard enough, so he continued down to another fall and watering hole he found. Luckily, after getting to the very bottom, he was able to make it all the way back to us unscathed.

Upper Butte Falls

Here is a side view M took.
I thought it looked lovely.

Here is a view from behind the fall.

Our little family.

Lower Butte Falls

Kendra near the falls after climbing
down the butte.

Here is what they climbed down.
Do you see a trail? Neither do I.

Here are the two other falls they found after
climbing down the butte side. They wanted to
go further, but didn't see a way to get back up.

Grandma, the girls and I are at the very
top of this butte. We were sitting on the ground
near the tallest tree you see on the right hand side.

M after making it to the very bottom.
You can't tell from here, but this is a very
beautiful clean area that would be fun to swim in.

All of us waiting patiently at the top for
our brave adventurer to return.

On the way back we found this cute
little seat carved out of a stump.

A perfect place for a photo.

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE all these hikes you are going on! I seiously want to save ALL of them in some kind of a folder for ones that I would like to go on. I look forward to see where you are going next. You should have your own show on the discovery chanel. "great places to go with kids!" Your girls are going to have tons of great memories. I was thinking about you the other day because I was making one of your recipe's from the ward cook book. Felt like I was cooking right next to you. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete