Monday, December 5, 2011

A Sad Sight

I went downstairs this morning to make the girls breakfast and this is the sight that greeted me. It was much worse than this picture looks; there was glass strewn more than five feet out from the tree. In my distraught state, I didn't think to take a picture until after we had picked up most of the glass and fallen ornaments. Even my acrylic snowman broke. The only things that survived were the stuffed ornaments, the plastic candy canes, and the metal ornaments.
Here is a picture of my favorite glass nativity ornament shattered into many pieces along with some glass from the hand blown ornaments I got our family the year before last.

What's left of the hand blown ornaments that were destroyed beyond repair. One for each of us that I bought the year before last. We had hung them up high on the tree so curious hands wouldn't break them, which only insured their shattered fate when the tree fell and they took the hardest impact.
I know it's just a tree but every year we pick out special ornaments for our girls that signify something they really like or an accomplishment for that year and give it to the them. My parents do this too. So to see them broken is very upsetting for me, they are ones I can't replace. Luckily the ornaments from my parents were able to be repaired by my husband as were most of my snowmen.

To end this post on a happy note, here are some pictures of the girls decorating our tree last night. I never did get a picture of the completed tree. Guess we will have to try again tonight after the glue dries.
K and L in their new jammies.
L putting on one of her ornaments.
K carefully hanging one of her ornaments.
Almost done with the tree.
L trying to put on the angel.
K tried to put on the angel too, but it was tricky.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, how sad. I have a couple of glass ornaments you can have that I don't use any more. I'll give them to Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say I love how you've decked the blog up for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sue on both accounts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer! I'm sad for you. I'm very sentimental about my ornaments and so I understand the attachment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear! it happens to everyone sooner or later. unfortunately for you the floor was too hard!!

    ReplyDelete