Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Passing of Red

K has a horse at her Bahmah's house named Red whom she has had for five years or so. Every time she goes to visit she feeds, rides and cleans out the stall of her horse. She loves having a horse. Unfortunately her horse got sick in May; she developed Laminitis in her hooves. She kept getting worse and had to be put down.
I was driving back home with K from aunties house on May 4th when my cell phone got a text. I thought it was my husband so I had K read the text. It was from her Bahmah telling me they had to put Red down and to please let K know. K started crying uncontrollably and I had to pull the car over to see what was going on. My heart sank when I read the text. Such a hard thing to hear and completely unexpected for her.
The following weekend the girls went to Bahmah's house to have a funeral. K made a cake on Friday night and on Saturday their friends came over for the funeral.

M even made a metal grave marker for the event. The girls placed large rocks around her grave and put flowers next to the marker. They also wrote her name in small stones near by.
Later that evening they made a horse and duck out of buttons.
And L learned how to play solitaire.
K misses her horse and hopes to get a new one at some point, although I'm not sure her Bahmah is up for taking care of another horse. I hope at some point to have land of our own that we can have large animals on. Then maybe they both can have horses of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment