Saturday, April 17, 2010

Drift Creek Falls

Yesterday we headed to the beach for some fun family time. Before leaving, M found a nice trail head that led to a waterfall we could hike to. We loaded up the van and headed to the beach. On the way, K got sick and threw up in the car. Luckily we were able to get it all cleaned up and it didn't really smell. I think she just got car sick from all the windy roads we were on. She felt better after we got out of the car for a while and didn't get sick again. So that was an adventure to start out our day.
We got to the beach and dropped our stuff off at my aunts beach house then headed to the trail head. We got there around 1:30pm. The hike is about a mile and a half through a beautiful forest. I still can't get over how green and pretty the forest's are around here. Anyway, the hike was nice and there weren't a lot of people so we could listen to the woodland creatures and the babbling brook. K found a stick at one point and used to to "walk" with. She mostly just poked it at things. L did a decent job of walking but about halfway down to the water fall she broke down in a tantrum because she wanted to be held. After a while she realized she would have to walk and was fine.
When we got close to the falls, we found there was a cable bridge you had to walk across to see the falls. M had purposely left this out when we discussed going here because he knows how scared of heights I am and didn't think I would go. He walked about halfway out on it and I decided to venture after him. The bridge was swaying in the light breeze and once I was away from land, my equilibrium started getting all wacky. But I persevered and made it across the bridge. He was very proud of me and so was I. We went down to the creek and had a little snack while daddy ventured off into the creek bed to get better shots of the waterfall. While we were eating, some curious and hungry chipmunks came to visit us. They were very brave, getting within inches of our feet. The kids were very curious but I was a little to nervous to have them so close so I would shoo them away when they got too close. M was able to get some very good pictures of them. After the snack, we hiked back up to our car. It was a great day and a fun adventure.


L walked most of the way up and down but
here I am carrying her when we started.

K with her walking stick.

L taking a little rest.

Daddy and L by Pheasant Creek.

Such a cute family.

The bridge.

Here is a picture of the falls and the bridge in the background.
See how high off the ground we were?

Waterfall from the ground.

Drift Creek Falls.

Eating our snack.

One of the three chipmunks.

From above.

Conquering my fear.

Daddy and L on the way to the van.

5 comments:

  1. What a great hike! I could use a few of those this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful pictures!! what a great looking bridge! so high, coolafanoola! really great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, you wild woman! Way to face your fears! That hike looks WONDERFUL! Makes me want to go. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered what the falls looked like. Now I don't have to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian and Em bought me the Best hikes with kids in Oregon and we love it. I would be happy to share. Also we need to go on a hike at least 2 x a month this summer : ) OK??

    ReplyDelete