Monday, August 1, 2011

A Funfilled Saturday Afternoon

We headed to Lebanon on Saturday to hike up to McDowell Creek Waterfalls. It was a short hike but super hot. Usually it is refreshingly cool along the creek in the shade of the trees but it was stiflingly hot. We didn't have very good directions so we only saw two of the four falls. It was a nice hike though, and the waterfalls were pretty.

Here is Royal Terrace Falls.

Here is the top cascade of Royal Terrace Falls.
In front of Crystal Pool Falls.
After our hike, we headed to Newberg for their Old Fashion Festival. Every year this little town puts on a fun weekend filled with parades, fireworks, music, games, rides, and wares for sale. Our girls have never been to a fair before so we thought it would be fun to take them to this activity.
The vendor booths were right next to the park so M let the girls play while I checked out the items for sale. There was an area set up at the park with "old time" kiddie activities. The girls enjoyed walking across the rope bridge.

We headed to the ride area and were astonished to find that it was $1.25 per ticket with a minimum of 3 tickets per ride per person. You got a slight discount if you bought a book of 20 tickets; it only cost $22 dollars. Or you could pay $27 dollars for a bracelet and ride all day.
I don't want to date myself, but when I was 15 years old, tickets were 50 cents each or you could get a ride bracelet for 10 dollars and ride from open until close. We decided to let the girls ride on three rides and I would ride with them because the rides they wanted required an adult. M isn't a ride person so he stayed on the sidelines taking pictures.
While we were choosing which three rides to go on, we ran into my cousin Mikaelas and her friends. They went on our first ride with us, The Ali Baba. It is one of my favorites and the girls loved it. After that we grabbed a snow cone for the girls to share, it was HOT! The day not the snow cone. Wouldn't really make sense for the snow cone to be hot, but I ramble.
On to a roller coaster for lit'luns. I was EXTREMELY too tall for this ride but the girls could go by themselves. They said this was their favorite ride. Don't they look deliriously happy?
Our final ride was called the Tornado. I was nervous about putting the girls on this one but they insisted it was the ride for them. We got into our carriage and waited for the ride to begin. I made double share the girls were securely belted in and then we started going in a circle. The girls wanted me to spin our carriage too. I knew it would make me sick if I spun us too much so I spun us slowly and only a couple of times. It was fun and the girls didn't throw up, which is a plus when you are on a rapidly moving ride. We grabbed an elephant ear before we left because a fair just isn't complete without a super sugary piece of dough. M had the girls thinking it was a real elephant ear for a few minutes. He's always teasing them. We had a great time and the girls want to do it again. We will have to see how the county fair compares for ride prices.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Old Fashion Days Festival!! I'm bummed I missed it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you guys. Hope you got enough pickles. And glad you didn't puke! (I would have :(

    ReplyDelete